Monday, October 16, 2006

Extreme Weekend Adventure

September 29th through October 1st was Extreme Weekend at MTYC. Here is a link to an Emmaus student who blogged about it.

The weekend was fun. I had a terrible adventure!:-) On Saturday I was still fighting a cold and could feel that I was reacting slow to everything. However, it was my one yearly chance to go rappelling, so I grabbed it. About eight or ten feet down I slipped and ended up sitting on the cliff face with my feet above my head. That was not my adventure!

I was sliding my feet around to get them under me again, when my left braid got caught and pulled into the figure 8 ring with the rope! I was stuck! There was no wide enough ledge to pull myself onto so I could take weight of the rope. Philip and Luke were my heroes! They had to perform a whole rescue operation to try and help me, while dangling 50 or 60 feet (pure guess) above solid ground. Matt and Rachel helped from above, too.

I thought they would have to chop the braid off. It happened before to another girl who was there! Five or ten minutes into the whole thing I was saying, "Just chop it off and get me out of here!" But eventually, since I was close enough to the top, they were able to haul me up on the rope hand over hand.

When I got to the top and my hair was released, (sitting rather than trying to stand on shaky knees!) Philip asked me if I wanted to go back down. I gave a very emphatic, "No!" I'll have to wait for my next yearly chance to get up courage again!

I felt shaky for a couple hours, but I must have scared the cold out of my body and dropped it down the cliff, because I didn't have another sneeze or runny nose after that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you did have quite an adventure! I'm so glad your rescue was successful and you didn't have to sacrifice your hair.

And you've been posting! I have to admit I haven't checked her in so long that I had no idea you helped with the Souix Falls effort! That's great! We have been keeping up with the work via emails and UPLOOK magazine. I love all the pictures.

I'm guessing you are the Becki replying to my blogs? :) Thanks so much for stopping by. It's so nice to know friends are visiting even though a REAL visit would be so much better. You are always more than welcome if you get down this way.